Saturday, March 14, 2009

My kiddo is sick

Hey ladies. Caleb is 2 1/2 and is experiencing his first real "throw up" sickness. He's had strep a couple times and has had a cold, but this is pretty bad. He started throwing up last night at midnight. Of course we're trying to keep fluids down him, but to no avail. I haven't had a real wet diaper since this morning at 9am...It's been 6 hours...I called the doc. The doc on call happened to be my baby Doc (so happy b/c she knows Caleb!). She said if no wet diapers and still not keeping fluids down to go in tomorrow morning. ugh. I really pray that is not necessary. Just keep Caleb in your thoughts and prayers. He's miserable.

3 comments:

  1. I have a 5y/o that has had several rounds in the past few months of throwing up to the point of dehydration. Our Dr. told us that when she starts throwing up like this that she's NOT to have ANY fluids right away...giving her tummy the time it nees to calm down...that any liquids, even water, can cause her to throw up again. So, we give her an hour, if she hasn't thrown up again than she can take a few sips of water...another hour (or as we see fit) and a few more sips. But she can only drink sips, no gulps. The last time we ended up having to wait for 3 hours after a bout of throwing up because anything shorter than that sent her running back to the bathroom. It really does seem miserable for them to not have anything to drink after having such yucky stuff in their mouth, but since the time she had this and ended up on an ambulance being rushed to a local children's ER with an IV in her arm and severe dehydration, I'm just not willing to chance anything else. Just thought I'd throw that piece of info out there...feel free to do with it as you please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaww... praying for you Shelley! : ) Hope he gets to feeling better soon and starts wetting again. That can be so frustrating when their system won't let them keep anything down.

    We aren't throwing up... actually I am truly the only one who's sick now (Eddie is coughing, but not too badly.) I can hardly talk (that's going on 3 days now) and sleeping is pretty much a chore with this cold.... cold seems like such a little word for how I'm feeling!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling for all of you and keeping you in our prayers. We are over the worst of "the cold" but Harmon and I can cough ourselves crazy. Makes for sleeping a full night impossible. I have started going to bed after I have a full cough drop to at least get some sleep. UHHGGGG
    How soon til the weather stays warm and we all get well????

    ReplyDelete