Jonathan and I set some goals at the beginning of 2009. One of them was to read more. I'm not talking more newspapers, more magazines, more cookboooks, or more technical manuals. I'm talking good quality Christian books that will help us grow in our walk with the Lord (aside from the Bible as that is always the primary source of growth). I found this article from John Piper and LOVED it. It really resonated with my husband and we have setting aside 15 minutes at night to read the books that we have good intentions to read, but never do b/c of 'time'. Here is an excerpt from the article. Click here if you wish to read the whole thing.
"Suppose you read slowly like I do--about the same speed as you speak--200 words a minute. If you read 15 minutes a day for one year (just 15 minutes, say just before supper, or just before bed), you will read 5,475 minutes in the year. Multiply that by 200 words a minute and you get 1,095,000 words that you would read in a year. Now the average book has about 360 words per page (that's what Carson's book has). So you would have read 360 words into 1,095,000, or 3,041 pages in one year. That's 13 books the size of Carson's book, or reading his in 21 days. All that in 15 minutes a day."
Right now I'm reading The Sacred Romance
Hey Shelly-McWonderful,
ReplyDeleteI have to tell you John Piper like saved my life when my brother died. Our pastor, Danny, gave me his CD about when bad things happen to Christians it is to strengthen them. I love him (Piper and Danny). John Piper rocks...also Beth Moore's group study of Daniel is mind blowing! You can go on her website and find where they are having it in your area. I would love for you to come to the Esther by Beth Moore one we are starting at church. I am a group leader. Call me we start next Wed for 10 weeks...Leslie from MTO is in it too.